First Shopping Mall Achieves GBAC Star Accreditation
The Dubai Mall, one of the largest shopping malls in the world, along with 14 additional facilities around the globe have achieved GBAC STAR™ facility accreditation from the Global Biorisk Advisory Council® (GBAC), a Division of ISSA. There are currently more than 3,000 facilities in 66 different countries undergoing the process of earning GBAC STAR accreditation.
Newly accredited facilities include:
- Ashford Castle in Cong, County Mayo, Ireland
- Brazilian Court Hotel in Palm Beach, Florida
- Chase Center, home to the NBA’s Golden State Warriors, in San Francisco
- The Dubai Mall in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- The Evelyn Hotel in New York City
- Hotel Amigo, a Rocco Forte Hotel in Brussels, Belgium
- Il Sereno Hotel in Torno, Italy
- Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center in Long Beach, California
- The Palace Hotel in Tokyo, Japan
- Palm Springs Convention Center in Palm Springs, California
- Phoenix Convention Center in Phoenix
- Rockliffe Hall, an SLH member hotel, in Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, United Kingdom
- United Scrap Metal in Philadelphia
- Villa Pliniana Hotel in Torno, Italy
- Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C.
“We’re excited to announce the Dubai Mall as the largest facility to date to achieve GBAC STAR accreditation along with these other leading venues around the world,” said GBAC Executive Director Patricia Olinger. “GBAC STAR can adapt to a facility of any size, type, or location, assuring all who visit that it follows the proper practices, procedures, and systems to prepare, respond, and recover from the global pandemic—and other infectious disease outbreaks in the future.”
With a total internal floor area of 5.9 million square feet, the Dubai Mall welcomes more than 80 million visitors each year and is currently undergoing a massive expansion, paving the way to welcome over 100 million visitors. Several five-star hotels, including the historic Ashford Castle built in the 12th century, have successfully achieved GBAC STAR accreditation. The Chase Center joins a growing list of accredited arenas, including the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles. Plus, the addition of the Long Beach, Palm Springs, Phoenix, and Washington convention centers brings the total number of GBAC STAR-accredited convention centers in the United States to 16.
To apply for GBAC STAR facility accreditation, visit gbac.org/star.