Advertisement

Nursing Home Evacuated After Cleaning Crew Creates Toxic Gas

November 27, 2019

Residents and staff of a nursing home in Ridgeland, South Carolina, were evacuated Monday morning after they were exposed to chlorine gas, WTOC News reports.

Cleaning crews mixed bleach and an ice machine cleaner, creating the toxic gas. Hazmat crews called to the scene cleaned the agent and cleared the toxic fumes from the facility. By late afternoon, all residents were back in their rooms and most staff had returned to work.

About 20 people experienced respiratory problems and were treated at local hospitals. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured, unlike an incident earlier this month in Massachusetts when the general manager of a restaurant died when trying to remove a toxic mixture that an employee had accidently created while cleaning the kitchen floor.

Latest Articles

Cross-Contamination
June 30, 2020 Craig Sykora

How to Prevent Cross-Contamination

June 25, 2020 Julie Howard

Brown Towels: Where Hand Hygiene Meets Sustainability

June 23, 2020 Eric Bates

Using UV Systems to Combat HAIs

Sponsored Articles

Spartan
June 10, 2020 Sponsored by Spartan Chemical Company

Buildings Closed? Get a Head Start on Floor Care Projects

June 10, 2020 Sponsored by Makita

Freedom From the Cord

June 10, 2020 Sponsored by ICE Robotics

How to Overcome Budget Cuts, Reduced Labor and Increased Cleaning Standards

Recent News

Meet the CMM Hard Floor Care Webinar Speakers
July 2, 2020 CMM Daily News

Meet the CMM Hard Floor Care Webinar Speakers

July 2, 2020 CMM Daily News

Preparation Sparks a Safe Fireworks Show

July 2, 2020 CMM Daily News

Coronavirus Government Response Update—Senate Extends PPP Loan Program