FREMONT, OH—Each year in the U.S., there are approximately four million slip and fall accidents in the food service industry, potentially the largest industry sector beset with slip and fall accidents.
While some accidents occur in the front of the house, the bulk of them happen in the backend – in the kitchen and food service areas. Many are the result of the fast-moving activities that often take place in restaurant kitchens but most are the result of grease and oil build-up due to cooking.
“The most effective way to reduce these slip and fall accidents is to install matting systems such as “safe flow” or drainage mats specifically designed for use in wet and oily food service areas,” says Adam Strizzi, marketing manager for Crown Matting Technologies. “However, just having the right mat is not enough. These mats must be kept clean for them to perform effectively.”
Because of this, Strizzi offers the following do’s and don’ts on keeping mats in commercial kitchens clean:
- Invest in a mat transport rack; all kitchen mats can be attached to the rack, making it much easier to move the mats and allow them to dry after cleaning.
- Take the mats outside; they should not be cleaned on the kitchen floor.
- Harsh chemicals and degreasers are not always necessary; try cleaning the mats with warm/hot water and dish detergent.
- Using a deck brush, deck both sides of the mats with the cleaning solution; pay extra attention to the holes in the mat. This is where grease and oil build up the most.
- Rinse the mats thoroughly and then hang them on the mat rack and allow to air dry.
- Install the mat over a clean, dry floor.
“There are also a few don’ts cleaning professionals should adhere to when cleaning commercial kitchen floor mats,” adds Strizzi. “Never put mats in a dishwasher or washing machine, which is actually quite common. This will damage the mat. Never fold the mats. Lay them out flat on the floor or leave them on the [mat] rack for storage.”
About Crown Matting Technologies
Crown Matting Technologies has set the standard in the commercial and industrial matting industry for over 70 years. The company is well-known for its invention of Zedlan™ Foam, a patented foam technology found in Crown’s industrial line of matting products. Today, Crown has the most diverse entrance and anti-fatigue matting product lines in the industry. The company provides matting for a wide variety of market segments, from offices and schools to hotels and industrial locations.
For more information, visit www.CrownMats.com or call toll-free: 800-628-5463.