Cleaning and maintenance workers should only use bleach when required, and only in the correct amount, according to a new bleach safety guide released by the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine.
The guide emphasizes that bleach concentrate has a stronger solution than regular bleach and workers should make sure to follow the label instructions carefully, Safety & Health reports. Other bleach safety tips include:
- Avoid bleach splashes by adding bleach to water, rather than adding water to bleach
- Set spray bottle nozzles to produce a heavy stream instead of a fine mist
- Open windows and doors or turn on exhaust fans
- Do not apply bleach directly to surfaces
- Apply bleach solutions directly to a disposable cloth, paper towel, or a cloth that is cleaned after each use; do not apply bleach to a sponge.