xpedx Awards $75,000 to More Than 20 Non-Profits and Schools Through the International Paper Foundation
CINCINNATI, Ohio - On behalf of its employees, xpedx is presenting grants totaling $75,000 to more than 20 non-profit organizations and schools in the U.S. with funding through the International Paper Foundation. xpedx is a premier distribution business of International Paper.
A significant portion of those funds -- $20,000 -- has been provided to six Greater Cincinnati area organizations on behalf of International Paper and xpedx employees based throughout the Cincinnati area, including IP’s Cincinnati Technology Center in Loveland, Ohio, where xpedx is headquartered. Awards were announced by Rick Ouellette, xpedx’s vice president, Communications, at a recent breakfast event for grant recipients at the xpedx headquarters.
"These IP Foundation grants represent one way our xpedx business can give back to communities where we operate and be a great neighbor," Ouellette said. “And, our support of non-profit organizations and schools reaches beyond dollars. IP and xpedx employees also recognize the need to volunteer their time and energy in the surrounding communities to help make a difference throughout the Greater Cincinnati area.”
The IP Foundation’s primary focus is on environmental education and literacy. It also provides short-term, critical civic needs in the communities where IP and xpedx have operating facilities and for organizations outside the focus areas where its employees actively volunteer.
At the breakfast, Ouellette thanked the grant recipients for all their outstanding work, care and concern in the communities and schools throughout Cincinnati. “IP and xpedx consider it an honor to be associated with each and every one of you,” he said.
In addition to monetary funds, xpedx provides educational materials – Butterfly Kits and National Geographic subscriptions – to promote environmental education and literacy.
The organizations that were awarded grant money include:
· Dress for Success Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, awarded funds to help cover expenses related to engaging women in the work force. (grant amount: $3,000)
· Eastway Corporation, Dayton, Ohio, awarded funds for educational software systems, housing services, case management and forensic psychiatry programs. ($3,500)
· Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly, Cincinnati, Ohio, awarded funds to help finance events for nursing home residents. ($4,000)
· Ninth District School, Covington, Ky., awarded funds to help finance its Earth Day Every Day Environmental Education Project. ($3,000)
· SIDS Network of Ohio, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, awarded funds to help provide safe sleep t-shirts to newborns in the neonatal intensive care unit at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. ($4,823)
· The Matthew Kelly Foundation, Cincinnati, Ohio, awarded funds to help finance the Why Am I Here initiative, which teaches children the skill of decision-making. ($2,000)
· Assateague Coastal Trust, Inc., Berlin, Md., awarded funds to help finance its family-based environmental education program of the Assateague Coastal Trust. ($2,500)
· Blind Services Foundation, Inc., Boise, Idaho, awarded funds to help purchase services and equipment for blind and visually impaired Idahoans. ($2,500)
· Geisinger Health System Foundation, Danville, Pa., awarded funds to help finance safe sleep education and the acquisition of portable Pack ’N Play® cribs. ($3,000)
· Greater Phoenix Youth at Risk, Inc., Phoenix, Ariz., awarded funds to help finance the PALS Mentoring Program, which helps children in transitional homeless shelter programs. ($1,000)
· Junior Achievement of Arizona, Inc., Tempe, Ariz., awarded funds to help finance the JA Business Ethics program, which fosters students’ ethical decision making. ($1,000)
· Montana Vista Elementary School, El Paso, Texas, awarded funds to help purchase materials to further develop gardens for an outdoor classroom. ($1,500)
· National Aquarium, Baltimore, Md., awarded funds to help finance The Atlantic White Cedar Habitat Project at Nassawango Creek Reserve. ($2,000)
· Reading in Motion, Chicago, Ill., awarded funds to help finance Benchmarks, which is an arts-based reading program. ($2,500)
· Reading is Fundamental of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif., awarded funds to help finance its Motivational Reading Program. ($2,500)
· Rocky Mountain Nature Association, Estes Park, Colo., awarded funds to allow young adults to complete conservation work in Rocky Mountain National Park. ($3,000)
· South Central Industries, Shawnee, Okla., awarded funds to help finance a paper recycling station for Shawnee, Oklahoma and the surrounding areas. ($2,500)
· The Rotary Club of Sparks Nevada, Sparks, Nev., awarded funds to help finance the Kids’ Free Fishing Day, which promotes wildlife education. ($2,500)
· Tristan’s Quest, Inc., Greensboro, N.C., awarded funds to help families access the academic support services their children need to become successful students. ($2,500)
· Youth Services of Glenview/Northbrook, Glenview, Ill., awarded funds to help finance Study Buddies, which is a comprehensive literacy program that serves parents, school children and preschoolers. ($2,300)
International Paper and xpedx are registered trademarks of International Paper Company. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
About International Paper Foundation
The International Paper Company Foundation, which was founded in 1953 as a philanthropic grant-making organization, primarily addresses existing and emerging educational needs, as well as civic needs within the communities where International Paper has operating businesses. The Foundation also supports those organizations where employees actively volunteer.
Cincinnati, Ohio-based xpedx, a business of International Paper (NYSE: IP), is one of the largest and premier distribution companies in North America. xpedx distributes a wide variety of print, packaging and facility solutions supplies and equipment to printers, manufacturers, retailers and commercial facilities across North America. For more information about xpedx, its business segments and stewardship efforts, visit xpedx.com.
About International Paper
International Paper (NYSE: IP) is a global paper and packaging company with manufacturing operations in North America, Europe, Latin America, Russia, Asia and North Africa. Its businesses include uncoated papers and industrial and consumer packaging, complemented by xpedx, the company''s North American distribution business. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., the company employs nearly 60,000 people in more than 24 countries and serves customers worldwide. 2011 net sales were more than $26 billion. For more information about International Paper, its products and sustainability efforts, visit internationalpaper.com.