BAXTER, TN — Heavy rains flooded the crawl space of Baxter Elementary on August 18, causing a significant short in what has been called "criminal" wiring of the building, according to the Herald-Citizen.
As the problems were corrected, multiple safety hazards were found and resolved, leading to four more weeks of work by state fire marshal officials, state electrical inspectors, electrical contractors and maintenance workers, the article stated.
The school board also approved an indoor air quality assessment of the school, the article noted.
According to the article, Board Chair Eric Brown said that a couple of teachers and parents had approached him about having allergy problems in certain areas of the building and expressing concern over air quality after the building had been shut up without ventilation for some time.
Click here to read the complete article.