Making Your Restrooms Green and Sustainable
Vista, CA – Surprisingly, one area often overlooked as a facility becomes Greener and more sustainable is the restroom.
Yet more water is used in restrooms than virtually any other area of a facility, and because water and energy are interconnected, water consumption increases the amount of energy necessary to power a facility.
In addressing this issue, Klaus Reichardt, CEO and president of Waterless Co Inc., offers the following suggestions to make commercial restrooms Greener and more sustainable:
· Lighting: Restroom lighting is often on 24 hours a day. Install motion sensors to turn off lights when the restroom is not used.
· Lightbulbs: Replace conventional lightbulbs with energy-efficient lighting.
· Cleaning: Virtually all cleaning chemicals used for cleaning restrooms now have certified-Green equivalents; use only Green cleaning chemicals and products.
· Water faucets: Install sensors. Studies indicate sensors that turn water on only when needed can reduce water consumption by as much as 70 percent.
· Hand dryers: A public restroom used by 200 people a day may use enough paper towels to fill a six-foot-tall grocery sack. Provide hand towels or electric hand dryers to eliminate this waste.
· Fixtures: Install fixtures that surpass current federal mandates. Some new toilets use 1.28 gallons of water per flush, and no-water urinals save thousands of gallons of water per year per urinal.*
· Recyclables: Station recycling bins in restrooms. Many paper products used in restrooms can be recycled.
· Leaks: Search for leaks and fix them. Just one intermittent dripping faucet can waste 3 gallons of water per day, a total of 1,095 gallons a year.
“Restrooms are highly visible areas,” adds Reichardt. “A Green and sustainable restroom shows a facility is doing more than talking Green, it’s making Green and sustainable part of the way it does business.”
*Current federal regulations require that toilets use no more than 1.6 gallons of water per flush and urinals about 1 gallon per flush.
Available for Presentations on Water Conservation:
Klaus Reichardt is founder and CEO of Waterless®, Co., Inc., manufacturer of No-Flush Urinals, Vista, Calif. Reichardt founded the company in 1991 with the goal to establish a new market segment in the plumbing fixture industry with water conservation in mind. Reichardt is a frequent writer and presenter, discussing water conservation issues. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Waterless® Co. LLC. has established a reputation as an innovative manufacturer, serving the building, plumbing, and janitorial industry for over 20 years. Based in Vista, Ca, Waterless Co. offers quality, innovation and expertise in water conservation and high efficiency products for building owners with a full line of Waterless No-Flush urinals, cleaning liquids, and cost saving accessories. Visit: www.waterless.com