Tuesday's Ask the Experts: Training best practices
Tuesday''s Ask the Experts question from a cleaning professional on the International Custodial Advisors Network (ICAN) "Ask the Experts" page: Can you give me an example of "best practices" ways to present on-going cleaning and training that are easy for a staff from different backgrounds to understand?
The usually recommended teaching (training) practice is to:
1) Explain the procedure or operation
2) Demonstrate the procedure
3) Have the student explain and demonstrate the same
4) Offer any correction or adjustment necessary
5) Have student repeat until the operation is performed correctly.
Now, when you do this you will be amazed at what you see. We assume some of our basic operations, mopping, dusting, vacuuming, etc. are so simple and straightforward that everyone will readily grasp them and quickly perfect the technique. Don’t be too sure.
One woman I trained ... — Lynn E. Krafft
, ICAN/ATEX editor