How Building Service Contractors Can Take Advantage of the Art of Networking
West Chicago, IL - If there is one topic virtually all building service contractors (BSCs) are interested in, it’s how to get more customers.
Of course, there are the traditional sales methods, such as cold calling, telemarketing, mailings, and asking for referrals.
But one that continues to be overlooked is the ability to comfortably network at professional meetings, conferences, lunches, and other events, says Michael Schaffer, a senior executive with Tacony’s Commercial Floor Care division and president of Tornado Industries®, manufacturer of a full line of professional cleaning equipment
“Lots of profitable, long-term business relationships are formed by just talking to someone at a business gathering,” says Schaffer. “But many of us are uncomfortable doing this or simply do not know how to make the most of the situation.”
For this reason, this month’s Tornado Industries Business of the Business Advisory, a program designed to help BSCs operate their businesses more effectively, focuses on networking and how to win new customers by just saying a few words.
According to Schaffer, the worst thing to do at a business gathering is play hard to get. “Everyone is a bit stiff in these settings and usually really impressed when someone takes the initiative to come up to someone and say high.”
Among Schaffer’s suggestions for turning small talk into a marketing tool are the following:
• Greet people with a sincere, hearty smile.
• Have a firm but warm handshake; one way to do this is to touch the other person’s elbow while shaking hands.
• Introduce yourself but don’t hand out your card unless asked; your job now is to get to know someone, not sell someone.
• Ask the other person about himself or herself and make that person feel special. (Sidebar: See Quotes on the Power of Networking Below)
“And adapt to that persons way of talking,” Schaffer adds. “If they are soft speaking, you speak softly; if they are fun and gregarious, you be fun and gregarious. In the end, these few minutes of conversation could mean money in the bank.”
Sidebar: Quotes on the Power of Networking:
• More business decisions occur over lunch and dinner than at any other time, yet no MBA courses are given on the subject. Peter Drucker
• It''s all about people. It''s about networking and being nice to people and not burning any bridges. Mike Davidson
• The successful networkers I know, the ones receiving tons of referrals and feeling truly happy about themselves, continually put the other person''s needs ahead of their own. Bob Burg
Visit us on Facebook at: http://tiny.cc/sq5ql
Available For Interviews And Industry Commentary:
Tornado Industries President Michael Schaffer is available for interviews and industry commentary by calling (630) 818-1300
About Tornado a Tacony Company
Tornado Industries has been engineering quality cleaning equipment for more than 80 years. The company has a long history of developing innovative products and applying the latest technology to increase productivity, reduce costs, and improve safety. Tornado prides itself on always being on the cutting edge of cleaning solutions.