View Cart (0 items)

Infection Control

Hand sanitizers' effectiveness in question

SEATTLE – Fourth grader Celia Vernon conducted an experiment to uncover answers on the effectiveness of hand sanitizers to kill Escherichia coli (E. coli).
Read More

New strain of norovirus confirmed

ATLANTA — The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently confirmed that test samples submitted by the Lousiana Department of Health and Hospitals contain a new strain of norovirus.
Read More

<I>E. coli</I> outbreak kills a child and sickens three others

VANCOUVER, WA — After the O157:H7 E. coli strain was identified, the Clark County Department of Public Health conducted an investigation that found Fletch Family Daycare''s hygienic practices were acceptable.
Read More

<I>Shigella</I> advisory issued in Pennsylvania

HARRISBURG, PA — Outbreaks of shigellosis have been reported in Philadelphia, Allegheny, Dauphin and York counties.
Read More

SDA responds to FDA's claims on triclosan

WASHINGTON - In the United States, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA( and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) test and regulate such antibacterial ingredients.
Read More

Norovirus closes Harvard Faculty Club twice in one week

CAMBRIDGE, MA — The Harvard Faculty Club, which was closed on March 30 because of a norovirus scare, will remain closed for at least seven days while the entire building is cleaned and disinfected.
Read More

'Strep zoo' infection prompts deep cleaning at animal shelter

HUNTING PARK, PA — After all of the animals are removed from the shelter, every surface in the facility will be degreased and disinfected before new animals are brought in — a process expected to take four days to complete.
Read More

Utah hospitals are exceptions to increase in C. diff cases

OGDEN, UT – A study of 28 Southeast hospitals done by Duke University showed C. diff was 25 percent more common than MRSA.
Read More

Norovirus extends students' spring break

MT. PLEASANT, SC — Moultrie Middle School students had an extra day added to their spring break after the Charleston County School District decided to close the school after several staff members called in sick with norovirus-like symptoms.
Read More

Doctors warn of drug-resistant H1N1 influenza

BETHESDA, MD — A new study from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) warns that drug resistance to the H1N1 influenza virus is a realistic threat that has already occurred in some cases.
Read More