CHICAGO — Cleaning professionals are starting to see something new on their customers'' floors as more facilities are installing green and sustainable flooring, according to a press release.
One type of floor that is becoming increasingly popular is cork, the release stated.
According to the release, to help cleaning workers keep these floors clean, safe and healthy, Tornado Industries has compiled a list of tips to help maintain cork floors.
1. Ask the flooring manufacturer for care and maintenance recommendations. Some cork floors are treated with finishes that can impact how the floor is to be maintained.
2. Make sure matting systems are installed at all entries to help prevent soils from being tracked in.
3. If placing mats on cork floors, make sure they are "breathable;" rubber or non-porous backings can trap moisture, which can damage the floor.
4. Vacuum the floor regularly. Backpack vacuum cleaners work well on cork and help remove sand and dust that can scratch the floor.
5. Clean up spills immediately. Moisture that sits on the floor for long periods can damage cork.
To see the complete list of tips, click here.
Click here to read the complete release.