GREENVILLE, SC — A wing of Berea Middle School has been closed after mold located in storage rooms and an in-school suspension room was identified as the toxic stachybotrys, according to WYFF-TV.
School district maintenance workers, staff members who are certified in indoor air quality and mold remediation and an environmental engineer inspected the school, the article stated.
According to the article, the toxic mold was found in three rooms, including a book storage room, a custodial storage room and the in-school suspension room.
"In every case, the mold, which has been identified as stachybotrys, was contained within a wall or ceiling, or behind a piece of trim. The mold is not airborne and at no time could students or staff touch or otherwise come into contact with the mold," said a release from the district.
"The district will continue to follow approved procedures as we address this situation. Cleanup and remediation will begin after the last day of school," the release added.
Click here to read the complete article.