Cleaning & Maintenance Management Online

University pays $1.2 million in Legionnaires' lawsuit settlement

February 15, 2010

COLUMBUS, OHOhio State University has agreed to a $1.2 million settlement in a lawsuit filed by a woman whose husband contracted and died from Legionnaires'' disease after drinking from a water faucet, according to the Dayton Daily News.

According to the story, Sharron Morris filed the lawsuit in April of 2007 after her husband, David Morris, contracted the disease from drinking tap water at the Ohio State Medical Center.

The hospital staff was aware the water was contaminated with bacteria causing the disease, but did not warn patients, the story stated.

Morris family attorney David Shroyer said: "Instead, they just handed out bottled water, but didn''t specifically instruct patients not to drink the water nor did they have any signs saying not to drink the water."

David Morris was in the hospital receiving treatment for leukemia and died five months after contracting Legionnaires'' disease at the facility, the story added.

Click here to read the complete article.