Toxic mold concerns force fire station to close
September 2, 2010
HIGH POINT, NC — A fire station in High Point was shut down after officials discovered toxic mold in the ceiling tiles, according to WGHP-TV.
Firefighters first noticed the mold early last week and informed the city: When inspectors tested the mold it was confirmed to be dangerous, the article stated.
"Their health and safety is our number one concern. When they noticed it, and informed us, we made a decision to take them out of this environment for a period of time," said Fire Chief David Taylor.
Tim McKinney, who works with facility services, said the mold inside the 8-year-old building was likely caused by too much moisture brought in by the air conditioning system.
According to the article, the cleaning crew will use a special chemical to clean walls and surfaces and then run an "air scrub" to kill mold spores.
Click here to read the complete article.