School closed for mold remediation
April 15, 2010
The problem, which was discovered in pipe insulation and in wallboard by a custodian last Friday, affected at least 15 classrooms, the story stated.
According to the story, the mold situation is assumed to be related to a $35 million building and expansion project a decade ago that was plagued by safety violations, delays and cost overruns during which air and moisture got in through the window sills, the venting system and the roof.
During the recent spring break, workers had cleaned mold from seven classrooms on the lower level and thought that had corrected the problem until new evidence of mold was discovered and a complete survey of the school was performed, the story noted.
Mahopac Central School District Superintendent Thomas J. Manko said: "I want to emphasize that this is not related to anyone''s health. It was dormant and contained mold, and it has been removed."