Cleaning & Maintenance Management Online

Schalmont School District is raising awareness of MRSA

March 25, 2009
ROTTERDAM, NY — The Schalmont School District is trying to raise awareness about the dangers of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) after one student contracted the infection and another student in a neighboring district died of it last week, according to the Daily Gazette.
The student who fell ill was treated and has since returned to school, the story stated.
Superintendent of Schools Valerie Kelsey said: "In this case, the kid is healthy and back in school with a doctor’s permission."
According to the story, there is little cause for concern as the student had been absent from school at the time of the infection; however, the district is taking extra precautions to make sure all Schalmont School District facilities are thoroughly cleaned.
Schenectady County Health Department officials have indicated that there is no identifiable risk related to Mohonasen Central School District student Kyle Gagnon''s death that occurred Saturday the Albany Medical Center, the story noted.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Staph bacteria are some of the most common causes of skin infection in the United States and are a common cause of pneumonia, surgical wound infections and bloodstream infections. Infections occur most frequently in hospitals and health care facilities among people who have weakened immune systems.
School districts that find single cases of MRSA are not required to report them, and oftentimes cases remain unknown to the public, the story added.
Click here to read the complete article.
For related information, click here.