Restaurant to blame for norovirus
PRINCETON, NJ — More than 150 Princeton University students who fell ill with norovirus this winter could have been exposed to the virus from a local restaurant, according to The Times.
At its peak, the virus hit nearly 400 students at several colleges and universities in Mercer County and was likely spread through multiple sources, but health experts pinpoint a specific Panera Bread for the Princeton cases, the article stated.
According to the article, the health department removed at least five workers who were handling food after discovering the link between the sick students and the restaurant.
"There might have been upwards of 150 different students, and there was no realistic way to get a total number of food histories on those students," said Princeton Regional Health Department Director David Henry.
"All of those students had eaten at Panera, but there were many other potential sources of the virus that also may have been involved," Henry added.
Jackie Brenne, a spokeswoman for Panera, said that, despite the precautions, "No Panera associates were found to be ill. Panera managers did review safety and illness policies with all cafe associates," the article noted.
Click here to read the complete article.