Norovirus strikes Peppermill Resort Casino
July 8, 2009
RENO, NV — Roughly 40 people were sickened in an outbreak of norovirus, a gastrointestinal virus whose eradication requires extensive cleaning of surfaces, during a wedding party at the Peppermill Resort Casino, according to the Reno Gazette-Journal.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), noroviruses cause acute gastroenteritis in humans, and those infected are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill until at least three days or sometimes up to two weeks after recovery.
Symptoms of norovirus, which typically last a few days, include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramping, fever, chills, muscle aches and fatigue, the story stated.
Bill Hughes, Peppermill director of marketing, said: "I don''t want this to sound like it was the people''s fault, but we don''t know if they brought something in or if it was something else, but we did not experience problems at any of our other facilities at all. We''ve had no other illnesses or complaints."
As a precaution, the Washoe District Health Department was notified of the outbreak, the story noted.
There is no known treatment for norovirus, and no vaccine exists to prevent infection, the story added.
Click here to read the complete article.
For related information, click here.