Hundreds sick after casino norovirus outbreak
CHEROKEE, NC — Harrah''s Cherokee Casino and Hotel is cleaning its slot machines with bleach every two hours after an outbreak of norovirus, a highly contagious gastrointestinal virus whose eradication requires extensive cleaning of surfaces, that has left nearly 250 people sick, according to the Associated Press.
According to the story, the outbreak began on January 12 and has caused symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea in casino visitors.
In addition to cleaning the 3,300 slot machines, casino workers are also sanitizing door knobs, escalator handrails and restrooms on an hourly basis, the story stated.
David Bergmire-Sweat, a state epidemiologist, said that very few of the casino''s 7,500 daily visitors have shown symptoms of norovirus.
Click here to read the complete article.