High school battles incessant mold problem
August 26, 2009
MT. VERNON, IL — Though the roof has been replaced and windows and doors have been properly sealed to address water leakage issues, Mt. Vernon Township High School is still battling moisture problems, according to the Mt. Vernon Register-News.
Several classrooms are currently without air conditioning, which has created a highly humid atmosphere resulting in condensation on tables, desks, chairs, floors, walls and equipment, the prefect environment for mold, the story stated.
Mt. Vernon Township High School Superintendent Mike Smith said: "As far as we know at this time, the mold issue that existed before the beginning of the school year has been corrected. We have replaced the roof, which addressed the infiltration of water through the roof, and addressed the water coming in around the window panels. We have every reason to believe we can now move forward and that problem has been resolved."
A malfunctioning heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system exacerbated the problem in many classrooms and contributed to the perfect storm conditions for mold growth, the story noted.
The school''s maintenance staff worked diligently to wipe down surfaces in the classrooms without air conditioning with a bleach solution to eradicate and mold and mildew, the story added.
Click here to read the complete article.
For related information, click here.