HFI release 3.20
The Healthy Facilities Institute (HFI) Launches a Slip/Fall Prevention Workgroup
Boise ID - The Healthy Facilities Institute (HFI) is assembling a Slip/Fall Prevention Workgroup to discuss ways in which cleaning and follow-up measurement can reduce the incidence of slips and falls in foodservice and other environments.
The voluntary workgroup will meet ‘virtually’ - communications will be handled via email - and the initial discussion question starting April 1st is:
What are the ramifications of ANSI.NFSI B101.3?
ANSI.NFSI B101.3 Scope: This test method specifies the procedures and devices used for both laboratory and field testing to measure the wet dynamic coefficient of friction (DCOF) of common hard-surface floor materials.
ANSI.NFSI B101.3 Purpose: This test method provides a measurement procedure setting forth DCOF ranges which facilitate remediation of walkway surfaces when warranted.
ANSI.NFSI B101.3 Application: This test method does not apply to carpeting of any type, however does address the common hard-surfaced flooring materials such as: ceramic and porcelain tile, polished concrete, stone, vinyl floor coverings, wood and synthetic laminates, and such materials with coatings or polishes applied.
More Notes: ANSI B101.3 Test Method for Measuring Wet DCOF of Common Hard-Surfaced Floor Materials
- This standard was approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) on January 18, 2012.
- It is the first American national standard for Dynamic Coefficient of Friction measurements.
- DCOF is the global standard outside the United States and is gradually becoming the consensus standard in the USA.
- ANSI B101.3 is based on research developed in Europe to support both the DIN (Germany) and EN ( European Union) DCOF standards.
- The Concrete Polishers Association of America adopted the B101.3 as their industry standard soon after its release by ANSI.
- The Tile Council of North America has now added a DCOF measurement method to their own ANSI standard.
- ANSI B101. 3 is unique in that it includes specific approval criteria for the selection of a tribometer to use with the standard.
The standard is available for purchase here: http://nfsi.easystorecreator.com/items/standards/ANSI_B101_3-detail.htm
Workgroup participants include:
Peter Ermish, Variosystems
Dennis Fetzer, Fetzer Consulting
Kenneth Fisher, Nu-Safe
Russell Kendzior, NFSI
David Ludwin, CNA Insurance
Bob Robinson Sr., Kaivac
Heidi Wilcox, UMass Lowell, TURI
The Healthy Facilities Institute (HFI) Slip/Fall Prevention Workgroup will issue periodic statements approved by all workgroup members to benefit the cleaning industry.