Cleaning & Maintenance Management Online

Drain cleaner fumes force school evacuation

January 8, 2010

BEVERLY, MAHannah Elementary School was evacuated yesterday after a teacher alerted administration of an unknown odor that ended up being drain cleaner, according to the Salem News.

According to the story, school Principal Susan Snyder activated the alarm, notified the Beverly Fire Department and evacuated the students immediately.

Firefighters determined the odor came from the art room, where they believe a janitor was unclogging a sink and the odor permeated to other areas of the building, the story stated.

According to the story, the fumes were not dangerous, and officials kept students in the gymnasium and cafeteria while the building was aired out using fans.

Beverly fire Captain Jeff Sirois said the school did the right thing by calling the Fire department, the story added.

Click here to read the complete article.