Cleaning & Maintenance Management Online

Dangers of chemical mixing illustrated

April 13, 2012

BRICK, NJ — A New Jersey man learned the dangers of mixing chemicals the hard way when a clogged toilet created a hazmat incident, according to the Asbury Park Press.

Emergency crews responded to a home after the house became filled with fumes due to the owner''s efforts to unclog a toilet, the article stated.

According to the article, the resident poured bleach into the toilet and when that didn''t fix the problem he poured sulfuric acid down the drain as well.

The chemical mixture set off an alarming reaction, and fumes filled the home, the article noted.

The resident developed breathing problems and was sent to Ocean Medical Center for treatment, the article added.

Click here to read the complete article.