Custodians exposed to asbestos
January 14, 2011
LYNN, MA — It shouldn''t have happened, but it did: That''s the way city officials are explaining how as many as four janitors were exposed to asbestos at the 100-year-old Fecteau-Leary School in mid-December, according to The Daily Item.
Michael Donovan, director of the city''s Inspectional Services Department, said the janitors working a weekend shift found broken floor tiles and a puddle of water on the school''s first floor: "They picked up the tiles and put them in barrels."
According to Donovan, a steam leak buckled the floor, forcing the tiles to give way: "The tiles popped up and the custodians cleaned up the area," he said.
"It''s an old building. When we saw the situation, I reported the violation to DEP (state Department of Environmental Protection). I turned myself in," Donovan added.
The tiles were not asbestos, but the glue or mastic that holds them in place did contain asbestos, the article noted.
Click here to read the complete article.