Winter safety tips to prevent slip and falls
HAMILTON, OH — The winter months can be extremely treacherous in certain parts of the world due to cold weather, with a study reported in The Construction Index indicating that slip-and-fall accidents can double in frequency during the winter months, according to a press release.
The study, conducted in February 2013, involved more than 3,200 job sites, and concluded that rates for job-related slip-and-fall accidents between November and January were as much as 133 percent higher than the previous quarter's totals, the release stated.
According to the release, Kaivac Inc. offers the following ten suggestions to help prevent winter slip-and-fall accidents outdoors:
- Ensure that an effective snow removal and ice melt program is in place before adverse weather arrives.
- Review snow removal and ice melt procedures with custodial crews.
- Have plenty of "wet floor" and cautionary signs in stock.
- Designate a "weather monitor" to be responsible for monitoring changing weather conditions.
- Update certificates of insurance from all vendors.