Custodian saves student
HIBBING, MN — Greg Timmerman, a janitor at Greenhaven Elementary, was recently in the right place at the right time when he noticed something was wrong, according to the Hibbing Daily Tribune.
Timmerman was standing by the garbage at the end of lunch when he spotted a first grader who appeared to be having some difficulty breathing, the article stated.
"She looked like she was going to throw up and milk was coming out of her nose. I asked her if she was OK. She tried to speak but couldn’t so she shook her head no," said Timmerman.
According to the article, when his first attempt at the Heimlich maneuver wasn’t successful, he tried again, this time dislodging a grape from the student’s throat.
While student choking incidents are rare, Timmerman is prepared, just in case, attending safety training at Hibbing Community College (HCC) every summer, the article noted.
Click here to read the article in its entirety.