Cleaning & Maintenance Management Online
CM e-News Daily

Ten hospitalized from toxic fumes

August 23, 2013

SALT LAKE CITY, UT — Ten people were hospitalized on Thursday after they were exposed to hazardous fumes in downtown Salt Lake City, according to the Daily Herald.

Fifty people inside Temple Square were exposed to the fumes after a janitor accidentally mixed chlorine bleach in a bottle that contained trace amounts of sulfuric acid, the article stated.

According to the article, the mixture created a hazardous gas, thionyl chloride, which spread quickly through the small building.

The janitor and nine others were taken to the hospital after complaining of nausea, coughing and trouble breathing, the article noted.

Click here to read the article in its entirety.