EnviroSolutions release 4.30
Tips on the Safe Handling of Cleaning Chemicals
PETERBOROUGH, ON — When used properly, both conventional and Green cleaning chemicals are relatively safe. Unfortunately, however, these products are not always properly handled, and accidents do happen.
This is one reason why the U.S. Department of Labor continues to list cleaning and custodial work as one of the most dangerous jobs in the country, mainly because of the many accidents involving chemicals that occur each year.
To cut down on such accidents, Enviro-Solutions, a leading manufacturer of Green cleaning chemicals, encourages cleaning professionals to develop a Cleaning Chemical Safety Program.
Key components of a Cleaning Chemical Safety Program include the following:
- A complete list of all cleaning chemicals used in the facility; this documentation should include details such as how many gallons (and multiple-gallon containers) are stored, where they are stored, and the potential hazards of and necessary precautions for each specific chemical (for instance, whether or not a chemical needs to be kept away from direct sunlight).
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for each chemical used or stored.
- Keeping all cleaning chemicals in their original containers and never mixing chemicals, even if they are the same "type" of chemical.
- Storing chemicals in well-ventilated areas away from HVAC intake vents; this helps prevent any fumes from spreading to other areas of the facility.
- Installing safety signage in multiple languages (or, even better, using images and no words) that quickly conveys possible dangers and precautions related to the chemicals.
- Making sure all cleaning workers know exactly what the following "signal words" mean:
o Caution: the product should be used carefully but is relatively safe.
o Warning: the product is moderately toxic.
o Danger: the product is highly toxic and may cause permanent damage to skin and eyes.
"Cleaning Chemical Safety Programs should also include getting rid of chemicals that have not been used for a prolonged period of time," says Jennifer Meek, Director of Marketing and Customer Relations for Enviro-Solutions.
"A good rule of thumb is to consider disposing of any chemical product that has not been used for six months, and disposing of any product that has not been used for a year."
Enviro-Solutions is a leading manufacturer of Proven Green, environmentally preferable cleaning products. An ISO-9001 certified company, Enviro-Solutions was established in 1994 with very focused goals: To develop and market a superior line of environmentally preferable cleaning products and solutions. Using advanced technology, the company manufactures products that offer proven safety, health, and environment benefits without sacrificing product performance and are competitively in price. All they have done and continue to do is manufacture only Proven Green cleaning products.