BOSTON — The city of Boston has declared a public health emergency as fears of a nationwide influenza outbreak intensify, according to The Guardian.
The city has so far scrambled to deal with 700 confirmed cases, a staggering number when compared to just 70 cases during the entirety of last year's flu season, the article stated.
According to the article, the move came as experts warn that the current flu strain is one of the worst in the past 10 years.
"This is the worst flu season we've seen since 2009, and people should take the threat of flu seriously," said Mayor Thomas Menino in a statement on Wednesday.
"This is not only a health concern, but also an economic concern for families, and I'm urging residents to get vaccinated if they haven't already. It's the best thing you can do to protect yourself and your family. If you're sick, please stay home from work or school," Menino added.
Dr. Anita Barry, director of Boston's Infectious Disease Bureau, has said that the city's declaration of a health emergency was "very unusual,” but was designed to raise awareness about the severity of the flu season and to make available public resources, such as providing health centers with vaccine, the article noted.
Click here to read the article in its entirety.