On November 8-9, 2012, over 200 participants, from 19 states, representing 80 hospitals gathered at the Kimberly-Clark Knowledge Network sponsored Managing the Spectrum Infection Prevention Symposium in the Crowne Plaza Ravinia in Atlanta, GA. The two-day event addressed current issues and new policies relating to patient safety and infection prevention impacting both Acute and Ambulatory healthcare facilities. Faculty speakers represented the perspectives of their many organizations including:
• Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN)
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
• Center for Research on Environmental Microbiology
• Excellentia: ASC Compliance Advisory Group
• Joint Commission (JC)
• Joint Commission International (JCI)
• Kaiser Permanente: Quality and Safety-Infection Prevention
• National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
• Safe Care Campaign
• International Perspective: Experience in Infection Prevention
• Reducing Adverse Events thru Collaboration Across the Surgical Continuum
• Impact of Healthcare Reform on Infection Prevention
• The Evolution of Ambulatory Surgery & New Strategies for Infection Prevention
• Compendium of Strategies to Prevent HAI-Highlights
• Clostridium difficile and MRSA: Recent Developments in Epidemiology, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
• Role of the Environment in HAI and Steps to Mitigate Risk
• Caregiver Focus: Prevention Strategies Healthcare Respiratory Programs
• New AORN Transmissible Infections Recommended Practices
• Preventing Infection in Acute Pain Patients
• Change One Thin, Change Everything: The Power of One
In addition to the exceptional presentations, panel discussions allowed attendees the opportunity to ask follow-up questions and proved to be an excellent conclusion to each of the segments.
For those that were not able to attend, we have great news! The entire event was recorded and many of the presentations will be accredited and made available to our sales reps as a tool to provide continuing education to healthcare professionals free of charge.
We would like to thank all those involved in making this event so successful with a special thank you to Dr. Julie Kneedler and Sharon Sky of Pfiedler Enterprises; Dr. Wava Truscott, Kathleen Stoessel and Mark Semmelmayer of Kimberly-Clark Health Care; and Ty Roberts of Roberts Media Solutions.