Cleaning & Maintenance Management Online
CM e-News Daily

Fire and explosion blamed on cleaning chemicals

November 6, 2012

PALM BAY, FL — A fire that caused more than $20,000 in damage is being blamed on cleaning chemicals stored in a garage, according to the Brevard Times.

fighting fireOwners of the home were woken by fire alarms shortly before 3 a.m. on Sunday and quickly evacuated their home, the article stated.

According to the article, as the fire department responded to the alarms, propane tanks kept in the garage began to explode, causing the evacuation of nearby homes as a precaution.

An investigation by the Fire Marshall determined the fire to be accidental and a result of a probable chemical reaction with linseed and other cleaners stored on a shelf, the article noted.

Click here to read the article in its entirety.

How important is it to store chemicals properly? Have you ever experienced an issue with storage? How do you train employees in the proper way to store their chemicals?