Cleaning & Maintenance Management Online
CM e-News Daily

City considers outsourcing option

November 1, 2012

WINNIPEG, CANADA — A city committee has agreed to move forward with a process that would include the outsourcing of custodial services at city office buildings and pools, according to the Winnipeg Sun.

city hallOfficials believe the "modified management competition" process should take about three to four months before it is sent back to the city, at which point they will decide whether to go through with the move or not, the article stated.

According to the article, it is expected that the city could save roughly $1 million a year.

"If the cost is less than what the city can deliver those services for, and we estimate it could be up to $1 million, then we’ll make those decisions to contract out or ask the unions to re-structure their labor agreement so they would be able to maintain the business," said City Councillor Scott Fielding.

Currently, city staffs clean 36 percent of the occupied space, while contractors clean the other 64 percent; if the modified process goes through, the city would then contract out 100 percent of building cleaning by 2015, the article noted.

Click here to read the article in its entirety.