View Cart (0 items)
Infection Control

Officials confirm hantavirus death, urge caution when cleaning

March 03, 2010
/ Print / Reprints /
| Share More
/ Text Size+

GREELEY, CO — The Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment confirmed the death of a resident was caused by hantavirus pulmonary syndrome spread by mice, according to KMGH-TV.

According to the story, a blood test confirmed the virus, only the fifth case ever documented in the county and the second death.

Environmental Health Manager Sara Evans said: "We are urging Weld County residents to be cautious and avoid exposure to hantavirus while cleaning in and around homes, buildings, sheds, barns or any structure that is infested with mice."

Symptoms of the virus include fever, headache, severe abdominal and joint pain, nausea and vomiting, as well as a cough or shortness of breath developing one to five days later, the story stated.

The incubation period for hantavirus ranges from one to six weeks, the story added.

Click here to read the complete article.
You must login or register in order to post a comment.