View Cart (0 items)

Mold could shut down city hall

April 24, 2012
/ Print / Reprints /
| Share More
/ Text Size+

UNION GAP, WA — City officials must consider shutting down City Hall after high concentrations of mold were found in several areas of the building, according to the Yakima Herald.

An environmental assessment firm found nearly 15,000 spores of stacci botrus in a three-by four-inch sample of drywall, the article stated.

According to the article, stacci botrus, or "black mold," can emit harmful toxins.

Employees have been complaining of a foul stench and nausea since last summer, however, the high concentrations of black mold were not found until last month after the mayor examined some moldy money, the article noted.

Fire Chief Chris Jensen ordered another air monitoring test, which lead to the discovery of high concentrations of mold, the article added.

The next step is up to the city and insurance experts who may temporarily shut down the building to avoid any claims that could come out of the discovery, the article concluded.

Click here to read the complete article.

You must login or register in order to post a comment.