According to the story, Batres said maintenance workers at the apartment complex failed to clean up after a sewage backup last November caused his toilet to overflow, flooding the apartment and saturating his bedroom carpet.
Batres attempted to clean up the mess, but his foot become infected after he cut it while clipping his toenails in his apartment bathroom, resulting in a hospitalization and eventual amputation of the limb to save his life from the spreading infection, the story stated.
Veronia Foley, Batres'' lawyer, said: "In less than a week, this man''s life was turned upside down. He was a father of three, had a full time job and now he''s missing a leg."
Apartment managers were unavailable for comment, the story added.