VANCOUVER, BC — There can be as many harmful bacteria detected on reusable plastic food trays in some Vancouver-area shopping malls as are found on toilet seats, according to the CBC News.
Swabs taken from trays in food courts at three malls were sent to University of British Columbia microbiologist Bob Hancock, who analyzed the samples: The malls involved were Pacific Centre in downtown Vancouver, Park Royal in West Vancouver and Metrotown in Burnaby, the article stated.
"We saw as many bacteria on some food trays as we saw on a toilet," said Hancock.
Swabs were taken from a gas station toilet for comparison, and lab technicians did find similar types and amounts of pathogens, the article noted.
According to the article, Hancock said that one of the bacteria found in abundance on some food trays could be particularly dangerous.
"There was a fairly large number of a bacteria called acinetobacter, which is one of the superbugs in our society that''s causing major problems in individuals throughout the world because it''s so resistant to antibiotics," Hancock added.
Click here to read the complete article.