CHESTER, IL — A combustible dust explosion at a ConAgra Foods Inc. grain elevator complex yesterday injured four workers, according to KMOX-FM.
The men were cleaning a silo when the grain dust stirred up from the cleaning ignited, the story stated.
Three of the individuals were air-lifted to hospitals in St. Louis with severe burns while the fourth was sent to a Southern Illinois hospital with burns to his legs, the story noted.
Randolph County Sheriff Fred Frederking said: "When you start cleaning that out it creates dust, a lot of dust, and also with that dust becomes different gases that come off of that old grain. The grain substance mixed with the oxygen, the fuel, the toxins, is what cause the heat. It''s extreme heat."
Following the explosion, crews pumped water into the silo throughout the night to ensure that the dust did not ignite again, the story added.
Click here to read the complete article.