Test Your Bio-Cleaner Knowledge
Ontario, Canada – As a result of the U.S. government’s BioPreferred program*, more distributors are introducing their clients to bio-cleaners, typically made of agricultural products such as corn, soybeans, and coconuts.
Also included in this category are bio-enzymatic cleaners, formulated with specific enzymes and “good” bacteria that allow them to essentially digest soils.
However, according to Mike Sawchuk, Vice President and General Manager of Enviro-Solutions, manufacturer of bio-based cleaning products, “just as when Green cleaning chemicals were first introduced, there appears to be some confusion as to what bio-cleaners are and how they can be used.”
To clarify some issues, Sawchuk has prepared the following quiz designed to help people understand these products more thoroughly. Answers follow.
1. Are bio-cleaners new?
2. True or false: because they are made from agricultural products, bio-cleaners are considered Green.
3. True or false: because they are made from agricultural products, bio-cleaners are considered sustainable.
4. True or false: a key use of bio-enzymatic cleaners is to help eliminate odors.
5. How long can a bio-enzymatic cleaner continue to work after it is applied to a surface?
It stops working when wiped away.
It continues to digest soils for about 10 hours after application.
It continues to digest soils for about 80 hours after application.
“Another misconception many people have is that bio-cleaners can be used only on hard-surface floors,” says Sawchuk. “However, there are bio-enzymatic cleaners for cleaning carpets and fabrics, washroom surfaces and fixtures, and even trash cans.”
1. No. The first patent for a bio-cleaner dates back to 1932.
2. False. Not all bio-cleaners have been certified and proven Green.
3. False. Bio-cleaners are considered sustainable if they are certified by the BioPreferred Program.
4. True. Bio-cleaners are often used to help eliminate odors.
5. Under certain conditions, a bio-enzymatic cleaner can continue to work up to 80 hours after application
*The USDA BioPreferred program was created in 2002, designed to help promote the use of bio-based products and divert the use of petroleum for producing cleaning chemicals in to other sectors such as transportation and energy.
Enviro-Solutions is a leading manufacturer of Proven Green, environmentally preferable cleaning products. An ISO-9001 certified company, Enviro-Solutions was established in 1994 with very focused goals: To develop and market a superior line of environmentally preferable cleaning products and solutions. Using advanced technology, the company manufactures products that offer proven safety, health, and environment benefits without sacrificing product performance and are competitively in price. All they have done and continue to do is manufacture only Proven Green cleaning products.