Melting Through The Clutter
Another important aspect of parking lot maintenance is snow and ice removal.
JanSan professionals have numerous ice melt choices, and for good reason: Varying circumstances demand different products to get the job done.
Here’s a quick primer to help you find the right product for your needs:
- Melts down to -25 degrees Fahrenheit (F), with the fastest melting speed above 0 degrees F
- Safe to handle and safe for vegetation and concrete and hard surface floors — when used as directed
Best for use near public entryways and vegetation, and when concrete maintenance is a concern.
- Melts down to -25 degrees F
- Application requires goggles and gloves, and it can harm concrete and vegetation
- Contains oily substances that can cause slippery floors
- Best for treating remote areas in extremely cold temperatures.
Sodium chloride (rock salt)
- Melts down to five degrees F
- Economical and safe to handle and store around children and pets
- Must be managed properly if used around vegetation
- Best for treating large areas and for use in more moderate temperatures.
- Typically rock salt blended with magnesium chloride, calcium chloride and other additives such as melting enhancers, color and corrosion inhibitors
- Provide additional benefits such as enhanced melting power, extended freeze/thaw cycles and coloring to assist with even application
- Can be economical depending on the ingredients.