View Cart (0 items)
Management And Training

Cleaning fumes cause injury

February 20, 2012
/ Print / Reprints /
| Share More
/ Text Size+

SOUTH CHARLESTON, WV — Chemical fumes caused injury to nine workers and resulted in a South Charleston restaurant to be evacuated, according to The Associated Press.

The dangerous situation was created when workers who were on site to clean appliances mixed bleach and another cleaning agent together in a sink, the article stated.

According to the article, the cleaning agent was a delimer and had a warning on the label saying the product should not be mixed with chlorine-based products.

"People mix stuff all the time to do different cleanings. If you mix the wrong thing, you''re going to get some type of a chemical reaction. It''s just like your junior chemistry set. You learn how to mix things and if it doesn’t work, you don''t do it any more," said South Charleston Fire Captain Virgil White.

After the restaurant was evacuated, it was ventilated and air quality samples were taken; when it will reopen is unknown, the article noted.

Click here to read the complete article.

You must login or register in order to post a comment.