SACRAMENTO, CA — Cleaning products are used in all workplaces and can cause or trigger work-related asthma; employers should make sure the safest products and practices are used, according to a press release.
The Work-Related Asthma Prevention Program tracks information about workers with asthma in California and helps workers avoid getting asthma from their job, the release noted.
About one in five people — almost 20 percent — used cleaning products directly, such as janitors, while the other 80 percent of workers attributed their asthma symptoms to cleaning products used nearby, the release stated.
According to the release, asthma from cleaning products can be prevented by using safer products and safer methods.
Safer products, such as Green Seal GS-37 certified products or those certified by the Environmental Protection Agency''s (EPA) Design for the Environment (DfE) label, do not contain ingredients that are known to cause asthma, the release added.