SUFFOLK, VA — As residents evaluate the physical damage Hurricane Irene caused, the Virginia Department of Health is urging people to watch out for mold in moisture-damaged buildings, according to the Suffolk News-Herald.
Mold growth is often accelerated by moisture resulting from leaks and flooding, and its presence can cause disease or aggravate allergies in people with mold sensitivity or asthma, the article stated.
According to the article, typical signs of mold growth in a building include a musty smell and the appearance of the mold itself.
While mold is a health concern for everyone, people with asthma and allergies are most at risk because it can create severe breathing difficulties, the article noted.
Click here to read the complete article.