HAMILTON, OH — Mats have never been in more demand than this winter. With adverse weather conditions throughout the country, even facilities that have rarely installed entry mats now have them installed at key entries.
However, says Dennis Knapp, national sales director for Crown Mats and Matting, installing mats is one thing, but installing them properly is entirely different.
For the duration of this cold and icy season and to help prevent potential accidents year-round, Knapp provides the following mat installation tips:
- Make sure mats have a backing that secures it to the floor. This can help prevent "surfboarding," when the mat moves across a floor with foot traffic; surfboarding can result in a slip-and-fall accident.
- Mats should always be placed on a clean, dry surface and not overlap each other.
- During inclement weather, scraper outdoor mats that scrape off debris are needed before door entries.
- If a scraper mat is installed outside, a wiper/scraper should be installed directly inside the facility.
- Building managers, distributors, and custodial workers should work together determining which mats should be installed, where, and their length to ensure proper installation.
- Cleaning professionals must regularly evaluate all matting and determine how often they should be vacuumed or cleaned
- During adverse weather, managers, distributors, and custodial crew must evaluate matting performance; in some cases, longer mats or different types of mats may be required
- Always check mats for rippling, curling, or torn edges; if found, remove or replace.
- As to length, walking six to 10 steps on a mat can remove as much as 90 percent of all soils and moisture; typically, this requires 15 to 18 feet of matting.
- Do not use or install mats in any area for which they are not intended-for instance, over carpeting; this could cause surfboarding and a potential accident.
About Crown Mats and Matting
For more than 70 years, Crown Mats and Matting has been a pioneer in the development and manufacture of matting products. Beginning with the invention of walk-off matting by the company's founder, R.P. Johnson, the company now has the most diverse matting product line offered in our industry. Crown sells matting through an extensive network of highly trained sales representatives throughout the United States and worldwide. These sales experts are familiar with the features and benefits of all matting systems and are able to help their clients find the right system for virtually any application.