CHICAGO — Starting a new cleaning company is easy . . . getting customers is not so easy.
To help with finding customers, this month's Business of the Business from Tornado, manufacturers of professional cleaning equipment, provides the following ten tips for "newbies" starting a contract cleaning company as well as a refresher for those already in the business:
- Choose a territory; select a specific area you want to service
- Leave flyers on Sunday; distributing flyers can still drum up business, and because Monday is often complaint day in the cleaning business, leaving flyers on Sunday can be perfect timing.
- Door-to-door cold calling; while not as effective as it once was, door-to-door cold calling can still work well in many areas.
- Purchase marketing lists; marketing lists are best used to call and set up appointments with prospects.
- Network; join your chamber of commerce, leads groups, or similar where local businesspeople meet, exchange cards, and get to know each other; this can actually be one of the best ways to drum up customers.
- Have a presence on the Internet; be sure your website looks professional, is search engine optimized, includes credible content and customer testimonials.
- Use Google AdWords; while there is some disagreement regarding the value of paying for search engine clicks, some businesses have done very well with AdWords, it's worth a try.
- Leave a gift; what can be surprisingly effective when cold calling door-to-door or when meeting with prospects is to leave some type of inexpensive but fun, unusual, or useful gift.
- Follow up; after meeting with a prospect, call on him or her again in six months; keeping in touch can really pay off, especially if you want that account.
- Be disciplined but have fun; set specific days and times each week devoted just to marketing.
The Business of the Business Advisory is designed to help building service contractors operate their businesses more efficiently and profitably.
Visit us on Facebook at: http://tiny.cc/sq5ql
About Tornado a Tacony Company
Tornado Industries has been engineering quality cleaning equipment for more than 80 years. The company has a long history of developing innovative products and applying the latest technology to increase productivity, reduce costs, and improve safety. Tornado prides itself on always being on the cutting edge of cleaning solutions. Many of the company's products are manufactured in the United States with domestically and globally sourced parts.