PETERBOROUGH, ON — Spring's arrival means spring cleaning is upon us. A thorough spring cleaning program not only improves the appearance of a facility, but it can also enhance its health as well.
Spring cleaning helps ensure that viruses, germs, bacteria and pathogens spread through a facility during the cold winter months are gone for good.
According to Jennifer Meek, marketing director for Charlotte Products, a leading manufacturer of professional cleaning products, some of the steps cleaning professionals can take to ensure their customer's facility is not only clean, but also healthy include:
- Clean all surfaces. Droplets from a cough or sneeze of an infected person can spread just about anywhere, including telephones, computer keyboards and mice, door knobs, drinking fountains, sink faucet handles, paper towel dispensers, tables, and desktops.
- Don't be fooled on "looks clean" surfaces. A surface can appear clean, but harbor germs and pathogens that cannot be seen. The use of a disinfectant or sanitizer on many surfaces is recommended.
- If using disinfectants, read the label first; dilute and apply as recommended by the manufacturer. Remember, cleaning and disinfecting is often a two-step process-clean the surface first and then apply the disinfectant.
- Spring is a good time to clean carpets to protect indoor air quality (IAQ). Carpets absorb contaminants, helping to prevent them from becoming airborne; however, in order for carpeting to be effective, it must be extracted and the perfect time to do this is as soon as warmer weather arrives.
- Move computers, monitors, and other electronics to clean underneath. This equipment can actually attract dust, which can negatively impact IAQ.
- Clean or replace vacuum cleaner filters.
- Inventory custodial closets and properly dispose of any chemicals or related products that have not been used for several months or longer.
"With stored chemicals, there is always the possibility that the container will begin releasing fumes with age," adds Meek. "This could be both a health and a safety risk that should be eliminated as part of an effective spring cleaning."
About Charlotte Products
Charlotte Products is a Performance Formulator and manufacturer of a broad range of cleaning chemical products for the consumer and institutional markets. Founded in 1986, the company uses advanced technologies to produce cleaning chemicals and products that offer proven safety, health, and environment benefits without sacrificing product performance all at a competitive price.