Carpet Cleaning and Pet Safety
MUKILTEO, WA - Cleaning professionals and carpet cleaning technicians must always practice special safeguards when cleaning carpets in the homes of pet owners.
Just as children are closer to floor areas and can be more impacted by chemicals, chemical fumes, as well as contaminants on floors and carpets, pets are also vulnerable to these risks.
"The big problem appears to be [the] chemical residue left in the carpets after cleaning," says Mark Cuddy, national sales manager for U.S. Products, a leading manufacturer of professional carpet cleaning equipment. "It is very important that moisture and chemicals be thoroughly extracted when carpets are cleaned."
A quick search online found many forums in which people are complaining that their cats, dogs, and even birds became ill shortly after their carpets were cleaned.
To help avoid this from happening to you and your customers, Cuddy suggests the following:
• Be very careful when using spotters. Spotters can be powerful and leave a chemical residue in the carpet.
• Pre-spray carpets sparingly, placing more emphasis on heavily soiled areas. "Pre-spraying carpets typically results in less chemical being used," adds Cuddy.
• Use low moisture carpet extractors. Extraction is the most thorough way to clean carpets. A low moisture system typically uses less water, which can translate into less chemical used in the cleaning process.
• Select extractors that have received the Seal of Approval from the Carpet and Rug Institute.
• Along with more through extraction, place air movers in areas cleaned to help speed drying of carpets cleaned
"And, using a heated carpet extractor can make a big difference," says Cuddy. "Based on studies by Dr. Michael Berry, author of the book Protecting the Built Environment: Cleaning for Health, heat improves the cleaning process so very often less chemical is used, meaning there is less residue to extract."
Visit us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/usproductsequipment
About U.S. Products
U.S. Products is a leading manufacturer of carpet, upholstery, drapery, stone, concrete, & tile cleaning and restoration equipment, tools and chemicals for the floor care professional. In manufacturing, quality, reliability and innovation are words that are frequently advertised. At U.S. Products, we have the track record to demonstrate we have put them into action.