Safe Emptying And Cleaning Of Sanitary Napkin Bins
Because of the potential disease and health issues regarding the disposal of feminine hygiene products, custodial workers are advised to follow these steps if conventional sanitary napkin bins are installed:
- Wear gloves at all times.
- Do not reach into the bin from the lid; remove the top of the bin or the bin’s lid entirely to empty contents.
- If no liner is installed, empty the contents directly into a trash liner, secure the liner with a knot to prevent contents from being released and place into a larger liner; avoid touching the contents if possible.
- If a liner is installed, grab the top of the liner and tie the top into a knot to prevent contents from being released and place into a larger liner.
- Once emptied, clean the bin with an all-purpose cleaner and then spray a disinfectant in the bin, its swing opening and the side of the bin; allow for dwell time and wipe clean.
If using a sensor controlled system, many of these steps can be eliminated.
The most important thing to remember is to place the contents in a knotted trash liner.