The Dirt On Dust
- It is estimated that nine out of 10 computers fail due to indoor dust.
- At least one in five Americans is allergic to some component of dust.
- A buildup of less than a tenth of an inch of dust in a heating and cooling system can decrease efficiency by more than 20 percent.
- Eighty-six billion pounds of dust settle on the U.S. every year.
- Studies show that one square yard of commercial-grade carpeting can accumulate one pound of dust in one week.
- The estimated cost to remove one pound of dust is $500.
- Studies indicate that people working in dusty environments have a greater risk of lung cancer, heart attack, chronic asthma, allergy problems, depression, nervous problems and skin problems.
- Dust particles on floors and other surfaces absorb or can react to many toxic gas matters, which can cause the transfer of these toxic materials.