Caring for America's Latest Floor Fad
Ceramic flooring becoming more and more popular in the United States
FORT WORTH, TX — Floor-covering trends come and go, but according to ISSA's Value of Cleaning white paper, ceramic flooring is becoming more and more popular in the United States.
There are several good reasons behind this trend. Ceramic tile is:
• Relatively inexpensive
• Highly durable
• Made from clay and sand, which are very sustainable materials
• Available in a variety of glazes, colors, and designs
• Relatively easy to clean and maintain.
"However, over time, soiling, stains, and grime can collect and become trapped in the pores and grout lines of ceramic tile," says Eric Hickman, a cleaning expert and product manager for Powr-Flite.
"If neglected, these floors can then develop a soiled appearance and bacteria and mold can even develop. To avoid this, proper care and cleaning is imperative to maintain ceramic tile's appearance."
For these reasons, this month's Powr-Flite Troubleshooter focuses on the proper care of ceramic tiles, providing the following tips:
• Clean daily. It is often best to vacuum ceramic tiling using a backpack vacuum cleaner instead of sweeping; this is more effective and helps protect indoor air quality.
• When mopping, use a clean mop and bucket and a mild, all-purpose cleaner.
• When heavily soiled, these floors may need to be machine scrubbed.
• Use a wet/dry vacuum to extract solution and soils from flooring after scrubbing; this helps to prevent them from resettling on the floor.
"The big problem with ceramic tile is usually the grout areas," adds Hickman. "[Try to] avoid cleaning grout by hand; it's time consuming, exhausting, and because of the chemical fumes, not that healthy."
Instead, Hickman suggests using a cylindrical brush floor machine. "Because of the brushes, these machines are effective at removing soils embedded in a floor's pores, as well as in the grout areas."
His final suggestion: "If at all possible, avoid applying a sealant or finish to ceramic tiles. It is usually unnecessary and can just increase the time, labor, and costs of maintaining the floor."
The Powr-Flite Troubleshooter addresses some of the most common floor care problems cleaning professionals encounter ... and, most importantly, how to tackle them.
Established more than 40 years ago, Powr-Flite manufactures a full line of floor-care equipment and carpet extractors for the professional cleaning industry. Based in Fort Worth, TX, the company has over 20 patented designs and its products are recognized throughout the world for their innovation, durability, quality and performance. Their products are marketed directly to end-use customers as well as through distributors throughout the North America, Europe and the Far East.