Key Requirements Of GS-42 Certification
There are several requirements that must be met before an in-house or contract cleaning service can earn GS-42 certification.
A complete list is available at www.GreenSeal.org.
Some of the more general requirements include:
- Written operating procedures that are available to all cleaning personnel and clients
- A building-specific green cleaning plan
- A communication strategy for all cleaning personnel, building management and occupants, as well as a system for facilitating feedback from all stakeholders
- Cleaning schedules that carefully address all of the cleaning needs of a facility
- A detailed description of green cleaning implementation throughout the facility, including heavily used locations such as entryways and foodservice areas
- Easy-to-understand directions for cleaning professionals written in appropriate languages or utilizing graphic presentations that cover all of the facility’s cleaning tools, machinery and products
- Tactics to address the special cleaning needs of vulnerable populations such as young children or the elderly
- Using only green-certified cleaning chemicals, as well as vacuum cleaners that meet the minimum requirements of the Carpet and Rug Institute’s (CRI) Seal of Approval (SOA) program
- Using a chemical measuring and dilution system to limit human exposure to cleaning chemicals and facilitate proper dilution while eliminating waste.